I made him a pair last month and within a couple of weeks he was already asking for yet another pair, but since I've been actively trying to reduce my stash I had reached the point where, to make him a pair of socks, I would have to break into an adult-sock-quantity of yarn and then have the odd left over and be stuck with it. It takes around 35-40g to make him a pair of socks and I didn't have anything in sock weight in about that quantity in my partial balls stash.
Not wanting to deny him the socks, but equally not wanting to generate the 60g leftovers, I offered him his pick out of the bag where I keep small balls of stash remnants. Anything between 5g and about 25g goes into that bag. I suggested he pick out two or three colours and I would make him some striped socks. He was excited about that so I sent him off to rummage, expecting him to come back with maybe three colours. He returned, with eight different choices! As it was, I managed to get six of them incorporated into these eye-searing creations!
It's my Working Day socks pattern, with colours changed every 2 rounds to give the stripe pattern.
He gets another pair of the Mum-made socks he loves; I got 6 partial balls of stash yarn used up. Win-win!!